View Article

19

Teams are still forming for the Susan G. Komen I AM THE CURE Walk in Ashland’s Central Park, Saturday, October 1.   Opportunities to get involved include forming a walk team, joining an existing team, serving as a volunteer or making a donation to the cause.   

Breast cancer is the most common cancer among American women, except for skin cancers.  The chance of developing invasive breast cancer at sometime in a woman’s life is a little less than one in eight.  Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in women, exceeded only by lung cancer.  Around the world, it is estimated that 10 million women could die from breast cancer in the next 25 years without a cure.

Susan G. Komen for the Cure has a 25-year history of patient advocacy, building awareness and raising funds for research and community programs related to breast health and breast cancer.  Komen is the world’s largest, most progressive grassroots network with more than 100,000 breast cancer survivors and activists in 125 cities and communities around the world.

“We are very excited to have the Komen organization in Ashland.  They have been very generous to our community in providing grants to women who are uninsured as well as to those who are underinsured to help provide access to regular breast cancer screening,” says race chair Jane Blankenship, executive director of the King’s Daughters Health Foundation.

According to Blankenship, the I AM THE CURE Walk in Ashland will have three primary components – fundraising, education and recognition of breast cancer survivors.  The event on October 1 will include a V.I.Pink Tent sponsored by Chik-Fil-A where a free continental breakfast will be served to breast cancer survivors and their families, and a Komen Kids tent with face painting, balloon animals and crafts.

Take a walk with us…for your mother, sister, wife, daughter or friend, and know that 75 percent of the money you raise stays in eastern and central Kentucky.  The remaining 25% will go toward breast cancer research. 

Online registration is available by visiting the Komenlexington.org website and clicking on the Ashland Walk tab.  Those who pre-register will be entered into a drawing for a GE front loader washer and dryer in custom pink donated by Big Sandy Superstore.  Individuals who make an online donation to the I AM THE CURE Walk in Ashland will be entered into a drawing to win a mattress valued at $2,500 from Mattress Warehouse.

Presenting sponsors for the event are Ashland radiation oncologists Jeff Lopez, M.D., Terry Justice, M.D., and Tri-State Regional Cancer Center.

For more information about the I AM THE CURE Walk in Ashland, contact Jane Blankenship or Debbie Miller, King’s Daughters Medical Center community relations manager at (606) 408-4153.

Post Rating

Comments

There are currently no comments, be the first to post one.

Post Comment

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

CAPTCHA image
Enter the code shown above: